ACETONE PEROXIDE EXPLOSIVE
Acetone peroxide is a primary explosive that can be made from hair bleach (hydrogen peroxide), acetone, and sulfuric acid. This explosive is to be used in the fabrication of detonators.
MATERIAL REQUIRED: SOURCES:
Hydrogen Peroxide, Hair bleach (15-25volume content) Drug stores and hair supply stores
Acetone, Hardware stores, Drug stores
Sulfuric acid, Clear battery acid boiled until white fumes appear.
Eye dropper or syringe with glass tube
Graduated cylinder (cc or ml) or other measuring device
Thermometer ( 0 to 100 C.)
Ice and Salt
1. Measure 30 milliliters of acetone and 50 milliliters of hydogen peroxide into a glass container and mix thoroughly.
2. Cool the acetone/peroxide mixture by placing its container in a larger one containing a mixture of ice, salt, and water.
NOTE: Bacause of the lighter inner container being bouyant in the larger outer container, it is necessary to secure it so that it won't fall over into the ice, salt, and water mixture.
3. Cool the acetone/peroxide mixture to 5 degrees C.
4. Add 2.5 milliliters of concentrated sulfuric acid to the acetone/peroxide mixture slowly, drop by drop, with the use of an eye dropper. Stir the mixture during the addition of the sulfuric acid with a thermometer, keeping the temperature between 5-10 degrees C. Should the temperature rise abouve 10 degrees C., stop adding the sulfuric acid and continue stirring until the temperature drops again to 5 degrees C., then continue adding the sulfuric acid.
5. After all the sulfuric acid has been added, continue stirring the mixture for another five minutes.
6. Let the acetone/peroxide/sulfuric acid mixture stand in the ice/water/salt bath or remover the inner container and place it in an ice box for 12 to 24 hours.
7. After 12 hours white crystals of acetone peroxide will precipitate out of the once clear solution. Precipitation should be completed after 24 hours.
CAUTION: At this point the mixture is a primary explosive. Keep away from shock, friction, and flame.
8. Filter the mixture through a paper towel into a container to collect the solid particles.
9. Wash the solid particles collected in the paper towel with small amounts of ice cold water poured over them. Discard the liquid in the container.
10. Place these explosive crystals in a container and allow to dry.
CAUTION: Handle the dry explosive with great care. Do not scrape or handle it roughly. Keep away from sparks or open flame. Store in a cool, dark, dry place.
HOW TO USE:
Acetone peroxide is a powerful initiator and can be used by itself as the main filler when making homemade detonaters. Using 2 1/2" lengths of brass or copper tubing with one end sealed shut with either solder or epoxy resin, begin partially filling the tube with acetone peroxide and compressing with a loading press. Continue this process untill the explosive is within 1/2" of the top. Stopper the open end tightly with a cork or wood stopper. When ready to use, remove stopper and insert time fuse. Seal around fuse and tube, then insert into main charge to a depth of 2". These caps will detonate most explosives.
NOTE: These detonators should be used within 7 days of their manufacture and should be stored in a cool, dry place.